When your smart tv is connected to the WiFi but the internet is not working. In addition, the error message appears on the screen i.e LG TV error code 106. This error prevents the internet from working on the television.
The most used internet features on the smart tv don’t work without having a working connection. Error in internet connection has always destruction quality time.
However, the poor internet connection loads the contents with buffering. To fix LG TV error code 106, we tried some of the methods that worked. Therefore, we are sharing some troubleshooting ways to get rid of error 106 from your LG smart tv.
Reasons Behind LG TV Error Code 106
LG TV Error Code 106 indicates the internet connection problem. That is caused due to an unstable or poor internet connection. Simply, this error code denotes the smart tv has no internet connection.
In addition, when there is a wifi connection on the TV but errors persist. This means the router or modem is unable to access the mac address of the smart tv.
Read more: LG TV Picture Too Big for Screen Fixed
There could be many culprits for causing error 106 on LG smart tv. We have listed the reasons as per the solving method. For instance, here are some of the major reasons for the origin of LG tv error 106:
- DNS Problem: When the DNS is not working or its address is wrong. The Tv is unable to access the internet. Therefore, using DNS like Google DNS, Cloud flare, etc. Helps to minimize the error
- TV’s MAC address is not listed on Modem’s Whitelist: If there is a mac filter enabled on your router, add the TV’s mac address to the whitelist. If not, the tv may connect to WiFi but won’t get internet access.
- TV Set up issue: There might be some settings that are causing the problem. However, settings like date and time, Region, etc. Should be set up correctly. Otherwise, the internet won’t work on the television.
- Busy Network: When there are too many users or devices connected to the same network. There may likely encounter error 106. Ensure to use a stable network.
Steps to Fix LG Tv Error 106
Before troubleshooting the error, make sure the internet is working perfectly. You can easily check the status of the internet using your smartphone or tablet. After that, you can also perform cable connection checking.
Ensure the tv is properly connected to the modem or router. That being said, apply these instructions to fix LG tv error 106:
Method 1: Perform Power Cycle on Smart Tv and Modem
The power cycle is the process of disconnecting the device from the power source completely. Once all the power is drained from the device. You can plug the device into the power source. However, power cycling works almost in all kinds of generic glitches. To do that,
- Turn off your Smart Tv.
- Unplug the power cord from the wall outlet. [Same for router/modem]
- Wait at least 3-5 minutes.
- Plug the power cord into the power source.
- The router may take some time to share the internet. After that, turn on the TV.
Method 2: Reconnect the WiFi
If the power cycling has not fixed the error 106 on your smart tv. Then you should try reconnecting the WiFi. However, this regulates the WiFi password on your smart tv.
If there is a wrong password then reconnect the wifi after forgetting the network. This solves the LG Tv error code 106 issue. To do that,
- Navigate to Settings from the menu.
- Select Network, then WiFi Connection.
- Select your network from the available list.
- Choose to Forget the network and then enter the WiFi password again.
- Check if the error persists.
Method 3: Set Up DNS Setting Manually
DNS plays important role in the sector of internet connection. However, the incorrect DNS address can prevent your smart tv from connecting to the internet. As the result, you encounter error 106 on your smart tv.
Sometimes the default or ISP-provided DNS also causes the problem. To overcome this kind of issue, here are some of the fastest DNS servers for LG smart Tv. After that, follow the instructions to setup DNS settings on LG Tv:
- On the Tv remote, press the Setting button.
- Select Network, and then WiFi Connection.
- Select Advanced Settings and then Edit.
- Now, uncheck the set automatically to enter the DNS manually.
- Enter 18.104.22.168 on the DNS server and save the setting.
Method 4: Check Date and Time Settings
The next thing is to check if the date and time settings are set to the current date according to your region. However, if the date and time settings are different from the current date and time.
This means the internet won’t work on your TV. Therefore, apply these instructions to check if the date and time are correct on your Tv.
- Press the Home button on the remote and then navigate to the Setup menu.
- Select the Time and Date or Clock (According to the model of your tv).
- On the setup option, choose Auto.
Method 5: Add TV’s MAC Address to Router’s Whitelist
MAC stands for media access control is a unique 12-digit hexadecimal code that is assigned to NIC within the network segment. In addition, the modem identifies the device with its mac address.
If there is no mac address listed on the modem’s whitelist. Obviously, the internet won’t work on your smart TV. To solve this issue add the TV’s mac address to the whitelist. To do that,
First, you have to search for the mac address on your Smart Tv. For that, go to Settings > Options > Network > Wi-Fi Connection or Internet Connection > Advanced Wi-Fi Settings and then note the MAC address. Afterward, follow the given instructions:
- Login to the router’s control panel.
- Go to Advanced Settings and then Whitelist.
- Now, click on add MAC address.
- Enter the MAC address and save the settings.
Method 6: Use Ethernet
If your smart tv is connected to Wi-Fi. However, you are getting LG Tv error code 106. This means there is a problem with the WiFi. Either it may be a signal or coverage problem.
In addition, you can easily fix this issue with an ethernet connection. Take an ethernet cable and then connect both ends i.e port. One on the router/modem and another one on the Tv.
Recommended: TV performance increases on a wired connection rather than a wireless connection.
LG Tv error 106 is an internet connectivity issue. This issue can be encountered when the internet connection is slow and unstable. However, you can easily fix this issue by performing a power cycle on the device.
The best potential solution is to set the DNS manually. However, error 106 can be prevented after adding the mac address of the TV to the router’s whitelist.
To minimize the rate of internet problems, you should regulate the condition of the wire i.e ethernet cable and date-time setting. Unfortunately, if none of the methods solved the error on your tv. Then contact LG customer support. There could be some physical damage to the tv.
Read more: Fix LG TV Error Code 202
FAQ About Error 106 on LG Smart TV
Ans: You should reset the network settings on your smart TV. However, LG tv could not establish a connection to the access point due to unsupportive network protocol.
Ans: Obviously, there is a problem with the ethernet cable. However, you can use another ethernet cable in case the current one is damaged or switch to Wi-Fi.
Ans: LG Tv error 106 means there is a problem with the internet. However, the problem is caused due to TV’s mac address is not added to the whitelist of the router/modem
Ans: Smart Tv better functions on a wired connection rather than a wireless connection. To avoid buffering, use high-quality ethernet cable on smart TV.
Ans: There are many DNS providers with unique and premium features on their DNS servers. You can choose any DNS according to the features that you want to use.